Wednesday, June 4, 2014

What's Up Wednesday!

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly blog hop hosted by Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk in the hopes of bringing writers together on our crazy journeys. If you're interested in finding out more about this blog hop and/or joining us you can read more about it here!


WHAT I'M READING: I just finished reading The Maze Runner by James Dashner (review coming soon!) Would definitely recommend it the plot definitely keeps you guessing. I'm also still slowly but surely making my way through George R. R. Martin's Game of Thrones. It is taking so loong since I've watched the show so I already know what is going to happen. Plus I'm reading it on my nook and I bought the e-book box set so I never know how close I am to finishing the book because it only tells me how close I am to finishing all 5. I realized I still had a little over 200 pages left last night and wanted to cry.

WHAT I'M WRITING: I feel like I'm talking about this too much in one week, haha. I'm currently hard at work turning my characters into people for The Homecoming Court and I la-la-love them! I love when they start to feel real and their personalities start guiding my writing. I think creating realistic well-developed characters is both one of the hardest parts and the most rewarding parts of writing. I don't want to give too much away just yet, but I can give you guys the picture I've used to model my MC, Devon Halestorm!

Devon Halestorm

WHAT INSPIRES ME RIGHT NOW: Maya Angelou. I was and still am quite sad about her passing. She has always been an inspiration of mine, but over the past week since she passed I've been reading all the articles people have been writing about the amazing life she led and how she was able to use her writing in such powerful ways, and that has really pushed me to keep working to improve my writing and to dedicate my time to it so that I might have a chance to make a difference too.

WHAT ELSE I'VE BEEN UP TO: I went to the Zoo! It is not much of a zoo, to be honest. But it has penguins which is all I really need. And I got to hang out with some pygmy goats!


I am also still in mourning and shock over last weeks Game of Thrones episode. No spoilers here; if you watch you know what I mean. /Heavy sigh.

That is what's up with me this week! How about you all?

14 comments:

  1. Hello, Road Trip Wednesday-er with an awesome anime avatar! :)

    Your MC's looking snazzy! And those goats are adoooraaaabbllleee ahhhhh. :D

    Yeah, the latest Game of Thrones left me completely bummed out. I know it's a bleak show sometimes, but damn. I didn't want to sleep after that -- I wish I'd stockpiled some light-hearted anime to take the sting off, but I had to go to bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha I usually change it to my Google+ on wordpress blogs but I didn't even notice til I hit submit that time. Guess its good I didn't change it :)

      Light-hearted anime, why didn't I think of that? I should have watched some Ouran High after that but nooo I pick up Maze Runner and end up anxious all over again. Nothing could have been as bad as that episode though. Like..oh gosh. Its killing me not to know what comes next. I keep trying to just speed read through the books but it just doesn't seem possible.

      Delete
  2. Isn't it fun when your characters take on lives of their own and dictate where the story will go? ^_^ Enjoy writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its the absolute best. It makes things so much easier to write and the writing is way better because its not a forced plot, ya know? Finding that middle ground. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. My husband is away right now, so I'm behind on GoT. (It's something we watch together.) He's given me the go-ahead to get caught up, so I think I'm going to have to do that before I get spoiled. I want to read the book too, but I think it would take me forever to get through. Soon, I hope. Nice to hear that your WiP is coming along nicely. Have a wonderful week, Katie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brace yourself friend. It is a doozy. I couldn't sleep after it ended I just did not know what to do with myself. The books are really good its just hard to get through without any suspense. They are SO long.

      Delete
  4. I love finding pictures or actors who look like my characters- and I find it helps me flesh out their descriptions when I need to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had that picture sitting on a pinterest board for about a year and when the idea of The Homecoming Court and the character of Devon came to me I immediately knew that was who she was. It was a pretty great feeling and has definitely helped. I love that picture because I feel like it even encompasses Devon's attitude. It was a great find!

      Delete
  5. My oldest daughter tells me I need to read THE MAZE RUNNER, so I hope to soon. I've read the first GAME OF THRONES novel, and I've seen a few episodes of the series. The series looks pretty faithful to the book, but I much prefer reading the books before seeing any movie/TV adaptation. I'll catch the rest of the TV version sometime, I'm sure. :)

    All the best with your writing this week, Katie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The story is quite good but the writing, in my opinion, is a little messy. All show and no tell to the point that it got a bit distracting. But still worth the read.

      Delete
    2. I definitely meant all tell and no show. oops lol

      Delete
  6. Devon Halestorm is quite possibly the coolest name I've ever heard ever. Even better than Effie Trinket, and I looove that name.

    And pygmy goats are a thing!? Say whaaaat. Adorable! Also, would you think I'm crazy if I said I'm waiting for the entire GoT books series to be out before I start reading? Have a wonderful week, Katie!!

    - Caitie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU SO MUCH (: I super stress out over character names so seriously thank you!

      I would not think you are crazy at all considering man takes his time! The first book came out when I was three...I AM 21 YEARS OLD MARTIN WHAT ARE YOU DOING

      Delete
  7. I've not read Game of Thrones, but it is on my list. I haven't seen the show either, so hopefully I can still get around to it! :)

    I love your MC's name! Can't wait to hear more about it!

    ReplyDelete