Friday, May 16, 2014

Struggle of the One Shot

Do you ever start a project intending it to be a one shot story and then as you start writing it find it moving towards a series? This is a problem I have. I think I might be incapable of writing a one shot.

I'm working through The Homecoming Court (my current WIP that you can read about HERE!) and I had envisioned it initially as a single book story. This was the story that was going to be told and this was the story that I would tell and that would be it. Except now as I'm writing the story is growing. Little side stories are introducing themselves, the world is growing larger than the little island the academy is set on, and the conflicts are growing far more complex. And I'm just watching it all happen like



Am I just incapable of imagining a story that can be summed up in a single book? I don't know. I think perhaps part of it is that none of my stories take place in this world, or at least not completely. The Homecoming Court for example is set in a future where much has changed as a result of The Great War, which leads me to want to further explore that world.

This is not the first time this has happened. I have another story idea working in the back of my mind that also was a one shot when I first imagined it, but the more I thought about it the bigger it became. I'm not 100% certain that it will become greater than a single book story, right now I think it still works in a single book, but who knows what else might happen when I start working on it.

Have any of you ever noticed something similar to this? Do you consider it a problem ever or do you just sort of run with it?

2 comments:

  1. Such a challenging part of writing!

    For me, it usually has to do with the not wanting to say goodbye to the characters. If I have an idea to continue with them, I like to think it over for a little while and see if it can work on its own, or if it could/should be added to the original story.

    The Homecoming Court sounds like a fun book to write, and I wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that feeling. Been there a number of times now ... too often before I've even finished the first story. Only one has managed to stay a standalone, but only because I can't think of a reason for the MCs to return, otherwise...

    ReplyDelete