Monday, April 14, 2014

L is for Levi Heichou!



Before I get started on my fangirl post about Levi, let me just say that if you are not watching Attack on Titan you are not living properly. One of the best shows I have ever seen and let me tell you I spend a LOT of time on Netflix becoming a bit of an expert on television. It is currently only available with subtitles as the English dub has yet to be released, but after having seen the preview to the English dub I would really really recommend just watching the subbed version. Its worth it. It is so so worth it.

Bit of context again since I know this is an unfamiliar realm for many of you. Attack on Titan takes place in a world where humans have been forced to live behind giant walls that are meant to separate them from the titans, giant humanoid creatures that mysteriously appeared and started eating humans. It has been a century since humans began living behind the walls, 100 years since the titans attacked; and then one day a titan far larger than any other they have seen, called the Colossal Titan, breaks through the outer wall.



"On that day, humanity remembered… the dread that was a life under their rule, the humiliation of being caged like birds."
Seriously watch it oh gosh it is so freaking good  I can't even explain it.

Now then. Levi. To be totally honest I still have a hard time articulating what it is I love about him so much. I have had him planned as my L the whole month, but I haven't been able to put it into words. Now here we are.

Levi is a lieutenant in the Scout Regiment, which means he belongs to the part of the military that enters titan territory in hopes of learning more about the titans so that they can more effectively fight them. They are the most likely die; most recruits to the Scout Regiment die in their first 3 years of service. But not Levi. We do not know exactly how long Levi has been serving, but he has survived far longer than most ever hope to. He is distinctly talented as a fighter. He is revered by many in the military for his skills.



Basically he's the Scout Regiments biggest badass.

But surviving so long in the Scout Regiment also means watching everyone you know die around you, and Levi has known his share of losses. By time we are introduced to him it is obvious that he has been numbed to his life as a soldier. He does what is necessary. He shows no fear when entering fights with titans. He shows little to no real emotion during most of the show, except for an episode where he loses someone to the titans.




He keeps his walls up as much as possible, but there are moments when the horrors of his life cut through.

But no matter what, Levi is always the one who does what needs to be done. And even when the horrors do cut through, he keeps himself under control, which is probably why he is still alive.

Levi is willing to do what needs to be done, no matter how difficult that might be. This, combined with his general numbness to the world around him makes many other perceive him as cold and uncaring. He is despised by others who cannot turn it off, who cannot understand how he remains calm when everyone around him is dying, who are convinced his ability to base his decision on logic rather than emotion means he does not have a soul. Maybe that is why I love him so much. He does what is necessary, no matter what the cost. He is the soldier that the people of his world need, but they cannot see it.

Maybe there is just something about him that you need to watch the show to really understand. I'm no sure. But, whatever the reason, he is one of my absolute favorite characters, of this show and in general.

Seriously though. Go watch Attack on Titan. Right now. Then come back and we can talk about it for hours.

I leave you with this GIF because it makes me laugh.



3 comments:

  1. Did you hear that English dubed Attack on Titan starts on Toonami on May 5th! It's such a great show! I know people who don't even care for anime who love the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew it was starting soon. I'm usually all for Dubs as I'm not a fan of being forced to read my television shows haha. But in this case I do have to advocate for the subs. I've heard the main voice actors and they just don't really seem to fit. I think the characters lose something in the English. Granted that is just going off of the preview they released. But Eren in particular just did not feel right.

      Of course I'm all for people watching whichever version they want. People give me crap all the time because in general I tend to prefer dubs. Everyone should watch this show one way or another because it is just SO GOOD.

      Delete
  2. Dayyymn, this guy sounds like a boss! Look at that angsty expression, and those ninja-like skillzzz! *quickly scours internet for Attack on Titan, downloads all available eps* I think you may have started an obsession here with me and anime... If I never resurface again, Katie, you'll know what's happened, and you'll know who's to blame!

    ReplyDelete