Friday, April 11, 2014

J is for John Harrison



Okay I'm cheating a little bit today. I already have someone planned out for K tomorrow, so I decided to use his alias from the new Star Trek movie which means he does technically count as J, right?

I will openly admit I'm not hugely familiar with the old Star Trek films/show. I am a new generation Treky. Hope we can still be friends. Anyway, as a result I am going to go ahead and focus on the new generation Khan since he is the one I'm most familiar with. I know there are a few differences between him and the old version, but that's just too much work to try to cover both. Plus I like using GIFs as you have probably noticed and I am always eager to get a bit more Benedict on my blog. Agreed? Lovely. Moving on.

I appreciate a villain with a good story. I like complex villains. The whole "I just want to rule the world RAWR" story is getting a bit old, isn't it? Not that there aren't great stories with those types of villains in them, but the villains themselves are just not as interesting in my opinion.

Khan is interesting because despite recognizing him as the villain, we can sympathize with him on some level (to a certain point, I mean. by the end of the movie...probably not so much). He has done terrible things, but we at least understand why. We do not approve of his actions, but we do understand his anger. He was used by Star Fleet. His family was threatened as a way of manipulating him into compliance. Who wouldn't want to see the man responsible pay for his crimes?



I also just really love how absolutely intense he is. All the time.





Khan doesn't mess around.

I also appreciate the fact that this time the terrorist is one of us. Not someone distinctly foreign playing into the stereotype that is all too prevalent in the United States, especially now. I completely understand people disapproving of the choice to cast Benedict rather than a POC seeings how the original Khan was Indian and the original actor was Mexican. I will not argue with you. However, I personally liked the choice because it breaks the stereotype. I will say that as a trade off I really wish they would have changed the casting of a few of the main characters from the beginning of the reboot to include a few more women and POC, but I won't go into that right now.

I will leave you with what is probably my favorite picture of Khan from this movie.



2 comments:

  1. There is literally no such thing as 'too much Benedict' to be had, like, ever. I really liked the way he played Khan, particularly his little mind games with Kirk. I totally agree with POC and women casting, though - I love the crew of Star Trek, but I do wish they were a little more, ah, diverse. I mean, I know traditional Trekkies may not have liked messing with the crew's origins, but in a modern adaptation, maybe they could have brought it up to modern standards? *shrugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen the old Star Trek series and movies and not the new ones. Khan Noonien Singh looks so very intense and impressive here. Must check now. Thanks Katie.

    Hope you are having a great time reading, writing and connecting with fellow A to Zers, Katie :)

    Shilpa Garg
    Co-Host AJ's wHooligan for the A to Z Challenge 2014

    ReplyDelete