Thursday, March 6, 2014

Too Many Stories!

When people ask me why I write, I say because I must.

I write because there are so many voices in my head trying to get my attention, constantly.
I write because there are so many stories bouncing around my mind every single day.
I write because if I let them just sit there they will consume me and I'll end up looking like Kevin Tran in his first episode of Supernatural.



And that is not a pretty sight people. And so, I write.

The problem is, I can still only cater to one story at a time. This has been an ongoing struggle for me, especially in the past few months since I have been so dedicated to writing a little bit every single day. I'm still interested in the story I've been working on, and I'm still enjoying writing it and exploring the world my characters have introduced me to, but there are still these little whispers in the back of my head saying "follow me, I'll show you amazing things too."

And I just can't help but to get a tad curious...



There are so many ideas floating around in my head and all of them are so interesting and I just want to write all of them right now! But of course I can't. So far I have forced myself to set aside any and all other ideas to just focus on my current project. Prior experience has taught me that if I let myself jump away from a story idea to mess with a new one for awhile, I'm probably never coming back to the first one, and I'll probably jump to a new one again a few months after that. This is one of the major reasons why I have never finished a draft of anything ever. And that is something I am bound and determined to change this year. This year I will have a revised manuscript ready in time for #pitchmas! Maybe even two if I'm extra dedicated!

But the fact that I'm not letting myself go off and write these stories does not stop them from coming; it seems like I have a new one every day. I think I need to stop watching new anime for awhile. I don't know what it is about anime storylines, but I always end up with tons of new story inspirations after I finish watching one and Attack on Titan was no different. (that anime is seriously amazing ohmygod maybe I'll post about that later!) But even then, the stories continue to come. And I continue to not be able to write about them.

I imagine a lot of writers share this problem. What do you do to keep focused on one story when you have so many more fighting for your attention?

3 comments:

  1. I have this trouble all the time. I tend to write an outline and the first chapter (or whatever is kicking about) then tell it to "stay" and hop back to whatever I was working on.
    I've a 75% success rate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean! Stories are always, in my head, begging to be written. I do have a tendency to start a few ideas, but never finish them. But I think of them as progress since I had the idea, but a better one is coming. :) Writing those stories down from my head has always been fun! I stay focused when I find the right one. As I go along, I kinda just know. Sorry if that doesn't help!

    You can do it! Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found it helps if you take a day to write out all your ideas. Don't start writing the story, but write your ideas for the plot and characters. Get all your ideas out and know that, if you ever suddenly realize there's something you want to add, you can write a quick note and go back to your main work.

    ReplyDelete