Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Coming Soon: Feminism Fridays!

I have decided to start a weekly meme dedicated to discussing the problems of- and celebrating victories for- female representation in fiction.

Every Friday I will be posting something related to this theme, be it a feature of a great female character, an analysis of a particular story, or discussing a problem related to girls and geek culture (of which there are sadly many), and I would like to invite anyone interested to join me!

As I discussed in my earlier post, "On the Diversity of Fictional Characters", representation matters. Studies have shown over and over again that a primary way children internalize ideologies such as racism and sexism is through popular culture, which means if we want to see real change being made, popular culture is an important place to start.

Please note that this is not meant to be an attack on any of the stories, characters, or creators that get featured in these posts. Many- probably all- of my favorite stories have problematic messages in them; this does not mean we stop reading/watching. It is necessary that we hold story creators responsible for the messages they are sending, but that does not mean we cannot enjoy the stories they are telling.

I hope there is some interest among other bloggers to join me on this project. I will be including a linky list in my posts every Friday for other bloggers to post links to their own Feminism Friday posts. I also hope that this will encourage intelligent, respectful, and much needed conversations on the topics brought up.

I'll see you all Friday!

3 comments:

  1. Well, this is exciting. Ironically, I have a post scheduled for tomorrow involving feminism and geek culture. I've heard my share of stories, although I haven't experienced myself. A part of me needs to ask, how much do you have to know about something to be a fan of it. For example, having never read Thor comics, can I call myself a fan of Loki? Have never watched a Transformer's cartoon, can I call myself a fan of the franchise if I like the movies?

    But then, after reading this, I wonder.... do men feel like they need to prove they are a real fan somehow when they discover something new they enjoy? I'm asking because I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In general, no they do not.

      When men say they like a video game or a superhero it is accepted because it is "normal" for boys/men to enjoy those things. The reason women are constantly asked to prove they are fans of these things is because it is considered abnormal for them to like them. Its men's territory by default- they can claim it no matter what level of fan they might be- but we are forced to prove ourselves because it is not considered normal for us to enjoy it.

      The idea that everything a woman does she does for men also plays into this because people will insist that a woman-fan is just pretending to be a fan to get attention from men. Because obviously that is what we live for.

      That is a simplified explanation of it of course but those are the basic underlying concepts behind it :)

      I'm glad someone is interested in this! This is the type of thing I want to study after I graduate so I love talking about it :)

      Delete
    2. I've heard this all before. It's so frustrating. I mean, women make up over 40% of gamers, so you can't say it's unusual for a woman to play video games. Almost half of all game consumers are women. I bet if you looked at stats for comics, anime, etc. you'd find similar stats.

      I once read this long rant on Tumblr about how women are ruining comic books. Have you ever heard that, when a woman acts a little bit more like a man, she still keeps her femininity, but, when a man encounters something feminine, his masculinity is immediately threatened. I couldn't help but be reminded of that reading his rant. I highly doubt the presence of female fans can destroy anything. I mean, I did see a really cute DC heroes bracelet at Hot Topic the other day, but I'm not going to force a man to wear it.

      Delete