Thursday, January 2, 2014

Resolutions 2014!



Happy New Year everyone!


I hope the holiday season treated you all well and that you are all staying warm wherever you may be! I personally am starting the New Year off with a blizzard. Gotta love Michigan, eh?

Every year I decide on a number of resolutions and every year I fail to follow any of them more than a few weeks. This year, however, will be different. This year my resolutions are based on a new found understanding of myself and my priorities, and what I need to do in order to continue moving always towards my dreams.

Without further ado, here are my New Year's Resolutions for 2014!

 1. Write for at least 30 minutes every day.
Writing is my art and it needs constant practicing just like anything else. This year I will be making a point to incorporate writing into my daily life, giving it the importance and priority in my life that it needs and deserves. I am using the Don't Break the Chain calendar to help motivate me to stick to this goal!
2. Journal at least 3 times a week.
I learn more about myself through journaling than anything else. So often there are things I didn't realize I was thinking or feeling until I've written it. I need to make it a priority because it helps me keep track of where I've been and where I'm going, and also is unbelievably helpful in managing my anxiety and stress levels.
3. Take a day (or half a day) to recharge every week.
Speaking of stress levels, I've found that most of mine come from not taking enough time to myself. This year I will make a point to set time aside every week to relax and recharge.
4. Have a manuscript ready for #Pitchmas 2014
I was so sad when #Pitchmas was going on this year because I once again couldn't participate. I am so excited about the story I'm working on write now and by the end of the year I want a draft I feel confident enough about to pitch!
5. Read 20 new books.
I'm hoping this will go well with number 3. I didn't read nearly enough in 2013. I also plan to make a point to write reviews for every book I read and post them here.
6. Remember: Let it go
This resolution was inspired by the song is Disney's new movie, Frozen. To me, it means remembering that I love who I am and that is all that matters, no matter what anyone else has to say about it, t hat I will never hide who I am and anyplace I feel like I need to is a place I do not want to be.
7. Post to the Diaries at least twice a week.
I have some awesome ideas for the Diaries this year. I have been the worst blogger ever for the past 2 years, but I am changing that this year. This means I will be writing lots of queued posts, because I know some weeks will get hectic. I need a writing community, a place where I can share goals and failures and successes with other people who understand and love writing the way I do.
8. Stay positive as much as possible.
I let things overwhelm me. I know this is partially because of my anxiety so I can't control it completely, but I want to try to manage it better. It is not a bad day; it is a good day with a few set backs. Smile until you believe it <3
9. Do something crazy!
I don't know exactly what this means. I just want to do something this year without holding back or worrying about it going wrong. I have no idea what it will be, but I can't wait to find out.
10. Work on getting up earlier in the morning. Make the most of every day.
Obviously I'm not going to completely switch my sleeping schedule over night and start getting up at 5am tomorrow, but I want to work towards the habit of getting up earlier in the morning. My 830am class this semester should help.
11. Be selfless.
I get caught up in my own head a lot. This year I want to make it a point to make other people smile daily, even if just in little ways.
12. Don't be afraid to be selfish sometimes. 
I also tend to sometimes sacrifice my own wants/needs to make other people happy, which is okay, but sometimes I need to remember that it is okay to say no. I need to remember to take care of myself too.
This also means I don't want to be afraid to treat myself from time to time. I generally over-think anything I want to buy/do for myself. Its good to be conscious and thoughtful, especially when spending money, but it won't hurt to just treat myself once in awhile.
13. Work on speaking with confidence.
I've found that I often qualify my sentences with endings like "maybe" or "I don't know..something like that." For some reason I tack these phrases on in order to make them less concrete, just in case someone disagrees with me. I don't want to do this anymore. My voice and opinions and ideas deserve to be heard.
14. Take care of the small things.
My high school band director used to say "take care of the small things and the big  things will take care of themselves." I've recently decided that this is applicable to my daily life. I often get very overwhelmed by the world and all of the terrible things that happen every day. I want to change everything and save everyone and it kills me that I can't. While I might not be able to fix the world or help everyone in it, I can do little things, and if everyone in the world took the time to do little things, I think there would be less big things in the world that need fixing.

And that's it! What are your New Year's Resolutions? I'd love to know!

5 comments:

  1. You and I are 100% in sync, especially with #4 and #10 on your list. I'm hoping to have the first complete draft of a book written by the end of this year. To make that happen, I plan to take advantage of the time of day my mind is the most active: morning. My local coffee shop opens at 5am, which is the time I arrived there this morning. I plan on doing that every work day. It give me 2 - 3 hours to just focus on writing.

    Can I say I am very excited about #7. I don't mean to brown nose; I just like reading what you write. Us writers have to stick together ^_^

    Here's to a great 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Resolution twins! Great minds think alike ;) I'm going to try really hard to adjust myself to getting up and writing in the morning but that is definitely going to take some time as I tend to get motivated at night. Hoping I can make the switch, though!

      I'm excited for #7 too! This blog used be extremely active and I really let it fall apart the past two years. I miss having a writing community to share stuff with!

      Delete
  2. some great goals here. I'm trying #9 - well actually I'm going to be trying more than one crazy thing so don't hold back. I don't know exactly what you have in mind but maybe you do something for charity like a marathon or you could just do something really crazy for no reason. I'm going to be setting my some challenges and just doing out there and doing them.

    Anyway I wish you the best. Please check out my blog:
    http://katieloveslife94.blogspot.co.uk

    Happy new year!

    Katie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are great goals! I feel like I need to do some of those same goals for this year, one making sure I actually read more blogs and post consistently. I wish I had time for #3, but working 2 jobs means I work 7 days a week and it's rough.

    I wish you the best with your goals! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the feeling that there will be times when "half a day" turns into "an hour...somewhere..anywhere" haha.

      Thanks so much! And best of luck to you too!

      Delete