Friday, November 29, 2013

I am thankful for Netflix...and a few other things

A very happy Thanksgiving to everyone who celebrated yesterday! I hope you all had a lovely day of great food with your families.

I am thankful for quite a lot this year. I am extremely thankful for the amazing people in my life who keep me strong when the world becomes too much, and who keep me laughing when I've forgotten how to smile.

I posted on Twitter yesterday that:
Some people may have laughed about it; some may also have thought it inappropriate that on a day to be thankful I chose to spotlight my Netflix account. The fact of the matter, however, is that I truly mean it 100%. I am extremely thankful for my books and my Netflix account on a near daily basis, because they are my escape.When the world becomes too much and too loud, I am very very thankful to have the option to lock myself in my room with a cup of hot chocolate and my dear Sherlock Holmes. I am able to runaway for a little while before- or in some cases, after- my anxiety gets too high, and this makes it possible for me to calm down, to breathe, to refresh my social energies for another day. Fiction is not a luxury to me, its a mental-health requirement, and I am extremely thankful to have such easy access to this brand of anxiety medication.

I am also thankful for new found inspiration that has led me to finally start writing again. I'm afraid my goals for November have been a bit of a bust, however I still feel it was a good month because by the end of it I had a new idea I loved. Its been a long time since I felt this good about a story, and I cannot wait to see where my new friend takes me.

Lastly, I am thankful that, for the first time in a long time, I feel like I am finding myself. I feel like I am learning who this person in my head is and how to be more confident as her. I've made a number of helpful discoveries and acceptances about myself recently, probably the most important being my finally accepting that I am an introvert and that's okay. I am still learning, and I still have a long way to go, but for the first time in a long time I am making real tangible progress on this journey, and for that I am truly thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment