Monday, July 22, 2013

This is not Hogwarts and I am not J.K. Rowling

When talking about my hopes of being an author I often joke that I'm going to be the next J.K. Rowling. Most people take that to mean I'm hoping to write a series that gets as widely popular as Harry Potter did, which of course would be amazing, but that's not really what I mean when I say I want to be the next J.K.

When I think of Harry Potter I think of the whole world; the moving staircases and winding halls of Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, the four houses, the horcruxes, Godric's Hollow, everything. I am repeatedly amazed by how detailed and vast the world of Harry Potter is.

I also think of the characters I fell in love with, and a few that I didn't. I think of how much I admired Hermione. I think of how much more there was to Luna than many people could see or understand. I think of how tragic the life of Severus Snape was and how strong, bold, and sassy Minerva Mcgonagall was. I think of how infuriating Malfoy was, but I remember that he was put into such a difficult position because of his father's allegiances and that it wasn't all his fault. I think of how much I loved the Weasley twins and how devastated I was when Fred was killed in the Battle of Hogwarts. Harry might have been the focus of the story, but I still got to know so many other wonderful characters throughout those seven books.

Harry Potter is more than just a story. Throughout the seven books detailing his adventures we discover a whole new world that is every bit as vivid and real as the one we live in. We meet and fall in love with so many characters and we learn so much about them; Harry is far from the only important character in the series and to be honest he isn't even my favorite one. There is no end to the places and people we are allowed to explore throughout those novels, and that is what I love. That is what I want to create. I do not want to simply write a popular book or series; I want to create a world so complete and detailed that it must be real; I want to introduce my readers to characters that will become their best friends, who will make them laugh, and cry, and scream in frustration.

I want to write books that move and touch people as deeply as Harry Potter has touched me and countless others. That is my dream. And to be honest, I sometimes get very frustrated because I feel like its simply not possible. I feel like J.K. Rowling got everything so perfectly right that no story could ever do what Harry Potter does ever again. But I have to keep believing that more stories with that same potential are out there, just waiting to be written.

What do you strive for in your writing? Do you have any authors you really look up to?

1 comment:

  1. What I run into most is creating believable and thorough characters. I read about characters that are so well done and watch shows where the characters act out such wonderful writing and they are just so real. I always feel like my characters are all paper-thin and so I strive for characters like those in Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings or Star Trek. Even a book or movie like Hitchhiker's Guide of the Galaxy is just so good and it is intimidating to read and watch more and more just feeling that eventually my stories will have a serious lack of real, solid characters. Something like that.

    ReplyDelete