Sunday, January 20, 2013

Picking a Genre

Okay so clearly one post a week is still going to be a challenge for me. I apologize if I remain a bit inconsistent for awhile. I promise to do my best!

Have any of you struggled to decide which genre you want to write in? If you hope to go the traditional publishing route - as I do - it is unlikely you will find a publisher keen on the idea of you publishing across multiple genres because it makes it more difficult to establish a stable fan base.

I love reading across multiple genres - some of my favorite books are fantasy where others are realistic fiction - so I find it difficult to pick a single genre to write in. Once you break through the wall into publishing in a specific genre you become locked into it; it becomes what everyone expects of you. You could write under a pen name in a new genre I suppose, and many others do, but something about it doesn't appeal to me.

I have a few different story ideas right now that I really love, but they are all in different genres so I am struggling to pick one to dedicate my time to. How can I pick a single genre when I love so many?

Have any of you faced this dilema?

2 comments:

  1. I totally understand! My advice would be to write your novel and then figure out which genre it fits. :) BTW: I have missed your posts! Glad you are back, even if it is inconsistent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand what you mean! I have four novels on "the shelf" of my computer because they are written in YA Christian Fiction genre. I also have one epic fantasy I just completed and one YA urban fantasy. I'm working on another YA urban fantasy. It's really what you want to write.

    I did enjoy the first four books, but I've fallen more in love with fantasy. I read more fantasy than other books and I'm more passionate about writing it. Find what you really love to write and write it. It took me a while, but I think I figured it out. :)

    ReplyDelete