Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Dear Diaries, A Week in Hogwarts

Dear Diaries,

I am the worst little NaNoWriMo-er ever. I'm not technically doing it for June since I'm working on something I had already started, but I still signed up for motivational purposes. I've written a little over 3000 words since June 1.












Pretty much.

Instead of being a good writer like I should be I've been watching the Harry Potter movies and just being generally lazy with my sister.


















Aren't we cute?

I'm staying with her for the week in an attempt to get away from everything and figure out whats going on in my head. Instead we've just been running off to Hogwarts. She just finished reading the books for the first time ever and so now we're working out way through the movies. We'll be watching Goblet of Fire either tonight or tomorrow morning.


It's amazing, isn't it? How powerful these books are. I've never read anything quite like it. I think what is most remarkable to me is that, it seems, Rowling had everything figured out right from the very beginning. The cloak seems rather insignificant until 7 books later when the Deathly Hallows are introduced. Tom Riddles Diary and the fact that he destroys it with a basilisk fang seems to be said an done until the horcruxes are introduced in book 6. It is amazing how much thought was put into the plot of the Harry Potter books. But, above all, my absolutely favorite part about the entire series is...


Severus Snape<3

Snape is easily the most tragic character, pretty much ever. Sitting in the theater watching his memories in the pensieve (I saw the movies first. I know, bad Katie) I just sat there going "everything I know is a lie." The detail and extent of his character never ceases to amaze me. He is, by far, my favorite character of all time. Always.

However, I am still very upset at miss Rowling for killing Fred. You couldn't have taken Percy instead? You monster.


Oliver Phelps (George) on filming Fred's death scene:
“Filming Fred’s death was actually pretty easy. On the day we filmed I knew it was gonna happen so every time I saw James I would get really sad. When we went to film it they had James lay down on the stretcher and just wait until the rest of the cast got there. I took one look at James on the stretcher and burst into tears. I can’t even imagine how it would feel to lose him. We have done everything together since birth and to see my brother laying down on a stretcher pretending to be dead just killed me inside. After James got up and I gave him a huge hug. David said you did great, it was very believable. Then I told him I just thought of it as me and James not Fred and George.”

Daww. Personally I bawled my eyes out during that scene in the movie. And then again during that scene in the book. I repeat; Rowling, you monster.

I'm still quite bitter about Dobby too, but we won't go into that.

To end this lovely Potter rant I will leave you with what is probably my favorite video of all time on youtube ever. Enjoy!


P.S. I just watched the video and the "Sirius Black is dead a can be" reminded me of something. Am I the only one who thought that his death scene was a bit odd? Like he just fell and was gone. Now I knew he was dead when I read it (again, bad Katie!) but it still confused me. You're just expecting him to climb back up but instead they're like yea...he's dead. Sorry Harry. What?
I suppose the moral of that story is don't fall behind those curtains. There is no return. You shall not pass!
Thoughts?

7 comments:

  1. I completely agree about Fred! I just pretend that it was Percy instead :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been much more tolerable had it been Percy. I suspect that's probably why she killed Fred instead. Because you know one of them is going to die. There are just too many Weasley's for them all to live. But still...

      Delete
  2. I have never seen that video before. That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it?? I discovered it about a year ago and watched it constantly for like a month haha.

      Delete
  3. Look at it this way, you are not writing,but you are studying story structure from one of the best authors ;)

    cool video!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omgomgomgomgomg!!! I love you for writing this post. HP for life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, so so perfect! I LOVE LOVE LOVE Harry Potter; it is SUCH a powerful series. My childhood literally would not have been the same without it. When I was younger I actually believed Hogwarts existed! And even though I've grown out of that, the movies and the books are still close to my heart. The characters, the plot, the magic, the school, the whole Wizarding World...I love it all. Not a bad way to spend your time while at your sister's, Katie!

    Also, yes, you guys are both totally cute. It looks (and sounds!) like you had a blast - hugs!

    ReplyDelete