Friday, June 29, 2012

Blog Tour: Osric's Wand The Wand-Maker's Debate Review

Title: Osric's Wand The Wand-Maker's Debate
Author: Jack D. Albrecht Jr. and Ashley Delay
Pages: 208 (Nookbook)
Publishing Date: August 2011
Reason for Reading: Blog Tour
Synopsis: While the world leaders of Archana gather for an unprecedented peace treaty signing, tragedy strikes, and rumors spread of war. Osric; a young, untested leader, is thrust into the chaos and must journey far with his unlikely companions to stop the inevitable world war. Circumstance brought them together, but prophecy has entwined their fates.

Now, the young Vigile Contege, the world’s greatest Wand-Maker, and a beautiful Maiden of the Unicorn must put aside their differences and work together, or watch as their homes are destroyed. Their understanding of magic will be challenged as they discover new methods and uses for their powers, and each day will only uncover more unanswerable questions to torment Osric’s mind.

Why the signing was attacked? What do the unicorns want with him? How do you read a book with no words? What is so special about his wand?

First let me just say thank you to Jack and Ashley for letting me be a part of this blog tour!

It has been awhile since reading a book has inspired me to write the way this one did - an effect of excellent high fantasy I suppose, which is exactly what this book is. To be honest I've been sitting up for the past hour trying to work out new plot issues in Disinherited because while reading this book I realized I did not understand the world of Antara quite well enough yet to be writing about it. There is nothing I love more than a story that rekindles my passion towards my own writing.

I will admit I was slightly apprehensive about the book, but my concerns disappeared within the first pages when Osric accidentally steps on a drunken squirrel who then goes on to yell at him and walk away grumbling about it. The take on different species was the first thing that really got my attention. Lions, dragons, and, apparently, even squirrels are all intelligent beings capable of intelligent thought and speech. That's not something you see everyday. I found myself laughing as I tried to imagine a prairie dog standing in front of a dragon having a perfectly normal conversation with each other.

Another thing at the top of my list as to why I loved this book is that it keeps you guessing. There is always some puzzle nagging at the back of your mind as the story goes on, pushing you to keep reading because you simply must know what the hell is going on. Even when there is little action the story never seems to die down as you're constantly being given more background into the world and its magic and secrets. Despite how desperately Osric may wish otherwise, there is never a dull moment.

As an ending note I would like to add that this books needs to be made into a movie just so I can see the fire-tellings; culturally I think that was my favorite part.

I would like to remind you all how rare it is that I give out 5 key reviews for books so that everyone new to the diaries will have at least some understanding of how much it means for me to do so. Even the best of books will often only get 4 keys simply because they did not stick with me the way an elite few do.


This is an extra special review because it also comes with a giveaway! Simply include your name and email in your comment about the review to be entered for a chance to win a t-shirt of the lovely cover - who doesn't love free stuff? The contest will run all weekend and will officially end  midnight, Monday morning when a winner will be selected entirely at random.

Haven't had enough of Osric's Wand? I have an interview with the authors coming up on Sunday! 

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fun book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! I definitely recommend it:)

      Delete
  2. I love your review!! I got a free e-copy of the book during one of their promotion days but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. But it sounds amazing and I also ADORE the cover! I'm a horrible person who judges books by the cover :P

    Can't wait to give this book a read! :)

    Ashley - cazzyae(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the kind review! This blog tour has been a blast and we couldn't have hoped for more. We are grateful beyond measure to all of the blogs who participated. I am happy that you chose to join us for this event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for letting me be a part of it! I really enjoyed it:)

      Delete