Friday, May 11, 2012

Book Review: Gone by Michael Grant

First Friday Book Review, yay!



Title: Gone
Author: Michael Grant
Pages: 558 Paperback
Publishing Date: April 28, 2009 by HarperTeen
Reason for Reading: Just for fun!
Synopsis: 
In the blink of an eye. Everyone disappears. Gone.
Everyone except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not a single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Gone, too, are the phones, internet, and television. There is no way to get help.
Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day.
It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen and war is imminent.

I had wanted to read this book for quite awhile. The only reason I didn't read it until now is I accidentally read the synopsis for Lies (book 3) not knowing it was a part of a series so I had to wait until I forgot about what that ruined for me (I think it had something to do with someone dying but I can't remember, shhhh!)

Overall I have to say I was pretty disappointed, even more so because of how long this book had been on my to-read list. Don't get me wrong, the book was okay, it just was not as gripping as I had hoped it would be.

The book took a really long time to really pull me in. Like 380 pages. That's not to say I wasn't interested throughout the rest of the book, but I didn't have that burning need to read it and find out what happens. I was curious to know, but not desperate.

I think the biggest issue I had with the book was how many characters there were to keep track of. I'm a Tolkien fan so I am no stranger to head-jumping in novels, but it was a little overwhelming in this book. Head-jumping can be a great way to tell a story, getting all the different viewpoints and knowing what's going on with everyone can be a good way to pull a reader in, but first you have to make your reader care about all the characters you are focusing on. If I can't form a connection with a character then I'm not going to care about what's going on with them, I'm just going to push through their chapters hoping the book switches back to someone more interesting. With Gone there were so many characters it was impossible to get close enough to all of them for the head-jumping to be effective. It just became a lot to follow, especially when what was happening to all the characters didn't connect for 200 some pages.

I will say that there were a few scenes, mostly towards the end, that had me hooked; I could not put the book down for the last few scenes, hence why I finished it at 3am. I just would have liked more of the book to have that effect on me.

To wrap up, I'm not going to rush out and buy the next book; I simply do not have that burning need to know what happens next. I do, however, plan on adding the next book to my list of books to-read.

If this book is on your to-read list or the synopsis sounds interesting to you, I would definitely recommend you try it for yourself. The story concept itself is really interesting, the way it was executed just didn't quite work for me. There are tons of people on Goodreads who disagree with me and absolutely loved it; I think this is just a book you either love or you don't.

I probably won't be unlocking this book again anytime soon.



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for reviewing this! I've had my eye on it for a while but now I don't know if I'll take the time to read through that many pages :P Too bad it wasn't more gripping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea I was really surprised it didn't pull me in more- I had been so excited for it!
      If you ever do get around to reading it you'll have to stop by and tell me if you liked it any better than I did:)

      Delete
  2. I hate when it takes a long time to get into a book. The head-hopping sounds annoying. Don't think I will be picking this one up. Great review though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I thought the plot for this book sounded interesting, but I don't know if it took through the whole book to get interesting lol

    your newest follower,
    Kristin
    youngadultbookhaven.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete