Friday, May 18, 2012

Book Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Title: Divergent
Author: Veronica Roth
Pages: 487 (Paperback)
Publishing Date: May 3, 2011
Reason for Reading: Have you seen the cover?
Synopsis: 
In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.
During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

Everyone knows there is a lot of hype surrounding this book. Obviously I was a bit late on the pick up with this one, but I just had to know what all the fuss is about! Now, having read it, I totally get it. Because this book, my friends, is amazing.

Firstly I absolutely love dystopian novels. I love seeing what authors turn our society into, and this is one of my favorites. The concept of Chicago dividing into factions based on what they value most was fascinating and keeps you wondering the whole time where you would have ended up if you lived in this Chicago.

The one thing that can make or break a book is having a believable main character, and it was even more important to this book because it is written in first person. Personally, I felt like I knew Beatrice, or Tris as she renames herself. I could curl up with this book and imagine I was standing next to her and going through the initiation myself - which is a bit terrifying, but also a hell of a rush. Tris isn't perfect- she doubts herself, she struggles, she gives in to weak moments- but she is also very strong willed; she was an imperfect character and that's what I loved about her.

There is nothing I hate more than when an overly perfect romance ruins a book. I hate that. So many authors seem to want to create the fantasy romance simply because they're writing a fantasy book - it doesn't work that way. The romance in this book was slow to really appear and, once it did, a bit awkward and unsure of itself- just like a realistic relationship should be. The guy is not Edward Cullen and that's what I loved about him :P. Seriously, I fell in love with him. I had an affair while reading this book. Shhhh, don't tell...

I could go on and on about everything right about this book. It was a breath of fresh air from the same-old "girl meets boy and discovers her mystical powers" story that has invaded the book stores lately. I will be running out tomorrow to buy Insurgent and I can hardly stand to wait til then.

Leave that key in the lock; I'll be coming back!


2 comments:

  1. I just finished Insurgent and it doesn't disappoint :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Divergent, I thought it was amazing - and I can't WAIT to read Insurgent! I hope to buy it soon, and I'm so looking forward to it. :D

    Also, I agree - I think Four is fantastic! And I like that there's not a love triangle. :) So glad you enjoyed Divergent!

    ReplyDelete