Friday, April 20, 2012

R is for: Reading List

As you may have noticed I fell behind a tad in the A to Z challenge. My finals are next week so I have been really busy writing papers and studying and such. And so..I have decided to allow myself to cheat one day. I do realize that my reading list is already posted on the blog, but I need an R and it seems legit to me!

In my opinion nothing is more important to being a good writer than to be an avid reader. The more you read the more you learn and the more inspiration you will find. Even if you read a book and you hate it at least you learned something; you do not like that genre or that writer's style.  I also think that a writer's "To-Read" list says a lot about what type of writing they enjoy the most. As you can see, this topic is completely relevant to my theme:)

I will give credit to the loverly Krista over at The Jelly Beans of Writing because I stole the idea from her >:)

My "To-Read" list as of right now reads:
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson
The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexander Dumas
Retribution - Sherrilyn Kenyon
Glass - Ellen Hopkins
Shine - Lauren Myracle
Brisingr - Christopher Paolini
Inheritance - Christopher Paolini
Labyrinth - Kate Mosse
The Future of Us - Jay Asher & Carolyn Mackler
Gone - Michael Grant
Numbers - Rachel Ward
The Host - Stephanie Meyer
Born of Fire - Sherrilyn Kenyon
No Mercy - Sherrilyn Kenyon
Bad Moon Rising - Sherrilyn Kenyon
Unwind - Neal Shusterman
The Lost Gate - Orson Scott Card
Delirium - Lauren Oliver
Article 5 - Kristen Simmons
Uglies - Scott Westerfeld
Human.4 - Mike Lancaster
Dark Inside - Jeyn Roberts
Scored - Lauren McLaughlin
The Declaration - Gemma Malley
Divergent - Veronica Roth
City of Bones - Cassandra Clare
A Game of Thrones - George R. R. Martin
Assassin's Apprentice - Robin Hobb
Blood Red Road - Moira Young
Revealers - Amanda Marrone
Graceling - Kristin Cashore
Snowflower and the Secret Fan - Lisa See
Shanghai Girls - Lisa See

What does this say about me as a writer? Well for one that I must add books to the list faster than I read them. And two, that I enjoy a wide variety of genres and stories, so you never know what I might come up with ;)

6 comments:

  1. I'm starting to add more books than I can read too. :) You are definitely welcome to steal the idea for R! I'd love to read The Count of Monte Cristo. You have a lot of good books on your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have haha. One of my favorite methods of procrastination is to go to BarnesandNoble.com or Goodreads.com and just go from one book to the next finding new books I want to read.
      Its too bad you don't live near Grand Rapids; I have 2 copies of the Count of Monte Cristo haha :)

      Delete
  2. That is an absolutely great list, some of which I never heard of. I don't have much time to read unfortunately but even though I don't have time to read, I keep getting books, because I do want to eventually read them all. I have The Host and The Hunger Games series to read, and I'm working to finish Odd Thomas, but I do love to read. This is a cool font lol. Anyway happy A to Zing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hunger Games are amazing books! I read the whole series in a week<3
      Best of luck getting through all your books!:)

      Delete
  3. The Uglies series by Westerfeld is awesome even though you will probably end up forming a love-hate relationship with some of the characters.

    Good luck on your finals! Mine are coming up real fast so I feel your pain.

    Sarah @ The Writer's Experiment

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I found your blog from the A to Z challenge. I just read The Future of Us - it was a fun, fast read. I'm like you, my reading list keeps growing. I track my "To Reads" on goodreads.com and I try to only list books I've purchased already but haven't read. This weekend I attended a writing conference and got 6 free books plus I bought 4. YIKES!

    It's a nice problem to have though, considering. Best of luck with finishing the challenge!

    ReplyDelete