Tuesday, April 17, 2012

O is for: Opinions

I'm going to keep this post pretty short because I have an exciting paper on Shinto to write. /sarcasm.

Opinions: I have a lot of them and I am not afraid to share them. I am very stubborn and it is very difficult to change my mind about things, and I am rather proud of that.

I also take pride in always being respectful of other people's opinions, even when I do not necessarily agree with them. I have gotten into plenty of debates in my life (I LOVE debates) and I know that whenever a person starts attacking my opinions or simply saying they are wrong without any real reason as to why I completely tune them out; nothing they say holds any ground because they are not discussing they are attacking. I firmly believe this happens because people are defending ideas simply because they have been taught to do so, because they did not arrive at the conclusion themselves but rather it was pushed into them.

I am not one to form opinions based on what anyone else thinks. When I make a decision about how I feel about something I know exactly why I feel that way, which is why it is so easy for me to discuss them with other people without simply shouting "you're wrong!" and feeling like I won; I know exactly why I disagree with them and I can, and happily will, explain it when I am asked or provoked.

I think the ability to form your own opinions is extremely important. I know plenty of people who share the same opinions of their parents simply because their parents say so. I know plenty of people who have opinions because they were told that was the correct view and that was that. I refuse to be one of those people.

3 comments:

  1. Forming your own opinions is key, and something it takes a lot of people quite a while to master. Great "o"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! Opinions without deep thoughts are what is ruining this world. People really need to think for themselves.

    ReplyDelete