Saturday, April 14, 2012

M is for: Music


Basically I love music. If you put my ipod on shuffle you could go from 3oh!3 to Marianas Trench to Howard Shore's score for Lord of the Rings.

As i mentioned in my H is for: High School post, pretty much everything I did in High School was music related. I played flute in marching band, symphonic orchestra, and pit orchestra, and alto saxophone in symphonic band. Needless to say I didn't have much of a life between rehearsals, but I loved it. Actually that's a lie, rehearsals sucked, but I loved playing and, more than anything, I loved performing.

Out of everything I did marching band was definitely the most time consuming, but it was also the most rewarding. I could not explain what it feels like to be out on the field in front of a huge crowd on a Friday night if I tried. My sophomore year I got to march Spartan Stadium at Michigan State University. If our football team had won that game I would have gotten to march Ford Field; but they didn't. That football game became the marching band's Fight Club: we don't talk about it.

The music program was what got me through high school. Its where I met all of my closest friends and made most of my good memories. Unfortunately I was unable to play in any of the GV bands this year but I really hope I get to at some point; I really miss it.



8 comments:

  1. Howard Shore - great musical choice! I did clarinet in marching band and concert band. Strangely, clarinets weren't allowed in our jazz bands despite the famous clarinet jazz players. That's really neat that you got to play at Spartan Stadium! :) All of my friends were met in band, best part of high school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is the best<3 Though Hans Zimmer John Williams, and John Powell are definitely up there!
      My boyfriend played clarinet and my brother is currently playing in high school. My director wants me to switch to clarinet but I refused to, haha. I wanted to play sax!

      Delete
    2. They are good too! I wanted to play saxi, but I could never make the right noise out of it.

      Delete
  2. Look forward to the rest of your challenge run…can’t believe we’ve had 15 days already!
    --Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2012

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  3. My ipod has a real mish mash of music on it. My current listening tastes always seems to depend on my mood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did music stuff in high school too. But our band was...horrible. haha. So after freshman year I moved to choir. We weren't that great either but it was fun. The musicals though...those were awesome. :)

    And my iPod is the same as yours. Never know what's gonna pop up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha the Davison music program is actually pretty awesome. Our symphonic band and symphonic orchestra ranked first in the nation my sophomore year in whatever competition it was we were in- I can't remember what the name of the music festival was.
      The marching band isn't competitive so we only did like 1 or 2 competitions but we usually ranked in the top somewhere.

      Musicals ROCK. I was only in pit my senior year and the musical was Titanic which, contrary to what everyone thought when we were told thats what we were doing, was absolutely amazing!

      Delete
  5. Music filled most of my life in Highschool. Our chior was very good .we did all sorts of tours and even made our own cassette. The band (which I also played in) was horrible...terrible... just really bad. I'm glad you had so much fun.

    ReplyDelete