Monday, April 9, 2012

H is for: High School

I tried so very hard to come up with a different topic for H, but I couldn't think of anything. /sigh.

High school is tricky for me to write about for a few reasons, the main one being that all I did in high school was music based and I am planning to use music for M, so I don't want to write all about that now.

I had that group of friends in high school that I always hung out with, just like everyone else. The problem was that my group of friends had been a group of friends since like 3rd grade and I didn't show up until the 7th and 8th grade area, so they were always much closer to each other than I was with any of them. When I got to high school I became very good friends with a good number of people in the class above me, which was awesome until my senior year when they had all graduated (I know, how dare they!).

As I have mentioned before, I have always wanted to be a writer. The lovely thing about high school is that, when you tell people you want to be a writer, they say things like "That's great but what do you actually want to go to college for" or "Good for you, but you should consider picking a real job". So instead of writing all throughout high school like I should have been, and so desperately wish I would have, I went from one "real job" to another trying to find something that interested me. I went from marine biology (until I realized I dreaded all thing science), to graphic design, to computer science (I wanted to go into video game development, but as it turns out you have to be good at math to do that), back to graphic design. It was not until literally 2 weeks before my first semester at GVSU that I finally said "screw you" to all the people who had told me I should pick something else and declared myself a writing major.

High school did teach me one important thing (well okay it taught me a few important things, but this is particularly important); I am a beast in an english classroom. I cannot solve for x to save my life but I can analyze a literary passage like nobody's business. When I got to college I realized more and more how much I really enjoyed my english literature classes, and I have since decided that I might one day want to teach literature at a university (personally I think it would be awesome to teach a class on Tolkien, but maybe that's just me). All of that is what led me to decide to dual major in creative writing and english language and literature. And even if I never end up teaching, as a writer there is no such thing as reading too much, which is basically all my literature classes are.

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like an easy degree lol! When I told one of my best friends I was gona start writing, she said 'what the hell do you wana do that for?'. What happened to friends being supportive! :)

    Universal Gibberish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha it will be until I have to take British Lit 1- i.e. British lit from like the 1700s. Old english and I have a tendency to not get along, lol. And Wow what supportive friends you have! haha, probably all science/engineering majors eh? :P

      Delete
  2. Good luck with all your ambitions, if you want something enough and work hard you will succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writers come from all types of backgrounds and experiences. Sounds like you're taking a great path toward being one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't let anyone tell you writing is not a real job or that you can't make money at it. Yes, it's true that it is more of a vocation, but if it;s your dream, go for it! I did, and I have finally achieved my goal!

    BTW - It's nice to meet you. I'm a new follower via the A to Z.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome! It's so good to hear when writers don't let societies' expectations sway them on their true goal. I was like you and decided that I needed a "real job". Unlike you, I went through undergrad as a teaching major and then went to grad school for creative writing. Your dual majors sound amazing! I hope it all works out for you...

    Like your new follower above, I've found you via the A to Z challenge as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, people do tell you that about writing. And acting. And music. I know because I've done all three. But I make a career on them now, so stick with it!

    Good to meet you through A to Z. Do you know you have your word verification on? I only mention it because you might get more comments if you turned it off.

    Laura B Writer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not actually, I could have sworn I turned that off already. Thank you for telling me:)

      Delete
  7. I wish I'd met some writers earlier so I could have realized it was feasible, too. I always wanted to write, but I was so intimidated by the idea of novels. I wish I'd met ONE PERSON who would have said a page a day is a novel in a year. Totally manageable, right? I wrote a lot more than that--just not fiction.

    Glad you figured it out when you could still major in it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. maybe people ask "what are you going to do with a writing degree?" not because they aren't supportive, but they are asking "what are you going to do with a writing degree?". get it?
    8-D=

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with your writing and school!

    A class about Tolkien would be completely amazing to take, in my opinion, though I'm not the greatest at analyzing literature. (Always an interesting block to stumble over in literature classes, hehe.) :)

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete