Saturday, April 7, 2012

G is for: Grand Valley State University

That's right, all two semesters I have spent there has had an impact on me.

GVSU is truly a great school. The campus is absolutely gorgeous and the writing program is just fantastic. I had been planning to attend GV since around my sophomore year in high school because my cousin went there and really loved it, and it was absolutely the right choice for me.

A lot of my friends opted for bigger schools. Personally I like having a 15 minute max walk to my classes- during the winter even that seems impossible. I will admit I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with the clock tower. Its nice being able to tell what time it is and all, but the thing goes off every 15 minutes and it is deafening if you're unlucky enough to be standing under it when it goes off.

The picture isn't entirely accurate as at the moment there is a giant red crane to the left of the clock tower because GV is building a new library. Or at least they are calling it a library, but none of us know why because it seems like its going to be more social than study- the digital tour on youtube specifically says its not meant to be a quiet building. Either way I'm pretty excited for it to be done. My boyfriend and I refer to the crane as the Great Eye of Sauron because it always seems to be watching you, no matter where you are on campus.

In my short time at GV I have made some great new friends, gotten addicted to Doctor Who, and made some amazing friends who share said addiction. I have learned a lot about myself from living on my own. I've learned how to cook considerably more than I did before going off to college- my slow cooker is my best friend. I have become considerably more politically aware (or politically frustrated, whichever you prefer) just in time to be eligible to vote. Oh, and I've gone to classes and learned some cool stuff too.

I'm going to end this post with this awesome lib-dub the GV community made last year. I was a year too late to get to be a part of it, but its still really awesome!


4 comments:

  1. Katie,
    Pretty cool video! Best of luck with your writing career. Read as much as you can (and learn from it) and write, write, write. :0)

    The Write Soil
    1st Writes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great place to study - enjoy the rest of your time there x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by from A to Z. I'm just starting Season 4 of Doctor Who and I'm also completely addicted. Absolutely love it!

    That looks like a beautiful campus!

    ReplyDelete