Thursday, April 5, 2012

D is for: Divorce

Even though blogger is going to say that technically I did not post this on the right day, I have yet to go to sleep so as far as I am concerned tomorrow hasn't started yet.

I strongly considered making my "D" post about Doctor Who, but considering my theme is what has made me, me, I decided against it. Although watching the 10th Doctor (David Tennant) can make any day a good one.

I decided to post about my parent's divorce for two reasons: one, because it is obviously something that had an impact on my life, and two, because I want to take this opportunity to tell anyone who may be struggling with their parent's divorce that the impact is not always negative. Regardless of what anyone may say about it, divorce is not always a bad thing.

I can't say I can relate to what it is like to be experiencing your parents going through the divorce process. I was very young when my parents got divorced and I do not remember much of anything during the process or before it happened. I think that is one sign that my parents handled everything very well; I don't remember any yelling or fighting, though I'm sure it occurred. My brother and I were their main concern.

I have a rather large family because both of my parents remarried. Both of my step-parents are absolutely wonderful and I would not trade them for anything. I will admit that adjusting to having five older siblings , where previously I had been the oldest of two, was a bit difficult. But I love them all the same and am very blessed to have them. Both of my parents found people who they love and who make them happy, it just happens that it was not each other.

Now for the chain of events which had a direct effect on who, and where, I am today.

My Mom's parents got divorced and her Mom remarried. My Mom's step-dad (my Grandpa) had a son who introduced my Mom to a guy who became a very good friend of hers.
After my parents got divorced this very good friend introduced her to the man who later became my fantastic step-dad.
When I was about 11 years old my Mom moved my brother and I from Holly to Davison to move in with him and his kids.
If I had never moved to Davison I would probably never have joined marching band. I would never have met the amazing friends I made in Davison, my wonderful boyfriend included. I might not even be attending Grand Valley, as it was a Davison High School guidance councilor who first suggested I look into the school.

I am not trying to say that divorce is something that should be celebrated. However, it does not necessarily have to be a bad thing. Being a child of divorced parents does not mean you come from a broken family; I have a great relationship with both of my parents, and twice as many people who care about me.

5 comments:

  1. Totally understand where you are coming from. Sometimes divorce isn't the most terrible thing that can happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your parents are lucky to have you, too. Stopping in from A-Z.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful that your parents divorce wasn't terrible for you. They must have indeed handled it really, really well. Congrats to them for that!

    Sounds like you have a terrific family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You’re right; divorce is not always a bad thing. As long as you keep a positive attitude and remain true to yourself and what you want, you can always live a happy life after it. Anyway, it’s good to hear that the whole family is happy now after the divorce.


    @Janay Stiles

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes, everything’s just a matter of perspective. If all you see is the bad in things, all you attract is negative energies. But if you choose to see the good, you will better attract positive energies. Divorce isn’t always a bad thing – it just means there are two people who have decided that maybe living separately is better for them than living together in conflict. If your parents didn’t go through divorce, you would have never met your friends whom you have grown to love, and that would be a great loss.

    Lucas Boles

    ReplyDelete