Tuesday, April 3, 2012

C is for: Conigliaro

Say it with me slowly: Co-nig-lee-aro

That beautiful piece of work is my last name. As you can probably imagine, going through grade school with that on all your papers could be rather interesting at times. I remember, when I was first learning to write, being afraid I might forget how to spell it.

I'm quite proud of my last name. I love the way it trips people up, though I don't understand why it does. Its pronounced exactly like its spelled. For some reason a vast majority of people want to say "Congliario." I will never understand why. I always loved the first day of school because I always looked forward to hearing how my new teachers would decide my name was pronounced. It got to the point that, even if there were six other Katies in the class, I could always tell they had reached my name by the pause that never failed to occur whenever someone saw my last name for the first time. I quickly came to go by Katie C or Conig. Unfortunately I couldn't very well be announced as Katie Conig at my graduation ceremony. I don't remember what our vice-principle came up with, but it was most certainly not my last name.

The one thing that always bothered me was that in every class that had more than one Katie I became Katie C. Now in order for you to understand why this bothered me you must first know this: my name is not short for anything. My name is not Kaitlyn or Katherine or Kathleen. My full and legal name is Katie Conigliaro. I have only met one or two other Katies whose full name is Katie, and none of them were in any of my classes. And yet somehow, even though I was the only real Katie in, I'm fairly certain my entire graduating class, the others always got to go by Katie while I became Katie C. That drove me crazy. To this day whenever I have to say my name is Katie C (namely whenever the buzzers are broken at Fuel and they have to call out finished orders) I instantly feel like I'm 12 years old.

I've discovered that my name does not confuse as many of my professors as it did my teachers, although now I am often asked if I have an Uncle Tony (if you too were wondering, no, I don't). However my last name makes an impression. Its rather difficult to forget a name like Conigliaro, which I have found to be an advantage. I intend to keep Conigliaro as my publishing name, even after I get married and change it. Especially considering my boyfriend's last name is Harris. Somehow I think Katie Conigliaro would stand out a bit more than Katie Harris. And it will look much cooler on the cover of a book.

10 comments:

  1. I love your surname. I always wished for an imposing surname but exchanged Mayne for Cooke (I preferred Mayne) when I married.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that name. I'm going to say it at least five more times today.

    You could have my last name . . . Hooker! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks, somehow Katie Hooker just doesn't have the same ring to it..haha:)

      Delete
  3. Very cool last name. My wife's maiden was also hard to pronounce correctly, so she was pretty happy to change it to my easier to say, but no less difficult to spell correctly, last name of Brannan.

    Tim
    The Other Side
    The Freedom of Nonbelief

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the "sound" of words, and Conigliaro has a distinct aural appeal!

    It also rolls off the tongue in an exotic and dramatic manner... definitely a name to be emblazoned on book covers!!

    Enjoy the rest of the A to Z challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's hoping one day it will be!

      Delete
  5. It's a fabulous last name. i think the problem may INCLUDE (but not be limited to) people wondering if they should do the Americanized or Italian pronunciation. My instinct (with my whole semester of Italian in college) would be to say Conil-yiaro because in Italian that g sounds like a y AFTER the next letter instead of a g before. Much more colorful than mine though. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think its the i's that mess with people. or just that it is longer than most names you come across so people panic. I do have a lot of people ask me if its "arrow" or "are-o" at the end.

      Delete
  6. Wondering......do you know why you are asked if you have an Uncle Tony?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because there was a baseball player named Tony Conigliaro.
      My Dad used to get asked the same thing a lot (although he usually just said yes, haha)

      Delete