Saturday, March 31, 2012

Motivation Tricks

Any writer will tell you that coming up with a great idea for a story is one thing, but actually writing it out is something else entirely. It is a very time consuming process that you have to be determined to finish.

I have just entered this stage of the writing process (you know, the actual writing part) and decided I needed to have something to remind me that I should be writing instead of sitting on Stumbleupon.

"The Great Eye is ever watchful"
I decided the best way to motivate myself to write is to have my story somewhere I can always see it (and where it can always see me, silently judging every moment I'm not writing). I wrote out a very rough outline of the main events and details of the book on sticky notes and stuck them to the wall of my apartment. There is still a lot to fill in when I am actually writing it out, and I'm sure I will be adding stickies here and there, but I think its a pretty good idea. Hopefully it will keep me writing until it is finished, or until I have to move out at the end of the semester, whichever comes first.

2 comments:

  1. One of my CPs uses sticky notes as her method when she's writing a new WIP. She swears by it.

    I'm a complete panster, so I don't do sticky notes, as I have no idea what's going to happen until I type it onto the page.

    But your method sounds like a great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do a lot of free writing for my short stories (and all of my writing assignments for class..haha) but this WIP is just too complex for me not to have it planned out first. I had half a notebook filled with ideas and "what ifs" for it before I even wrote the first sentence.
    Sherrilyn Kenyon says she never knows whats gonna happen next in her own books and whenever she gets bored she just blows something up, haha. So its definitely personal preference.

    ReplyDelete